- Published Date: 23 Oct 2020
- Updated Date: 24 Mar 2021
- Reading Time: 7 min
Clear aligners are an increasingly popular option for individuals who dream of straighter smiles. Offering a convenient, discreet means of correcting mild orthodontic imperfections, invisible braces give you the freedom and flexibility to carry on life as normal once you start treatment. At ALIGNERCO, we offer two fantastic treatment options for clients, including our regular clear aligners and innovative NightOnly clear braces. In this guide, we’ll take a closer look at both types of aligners, providing information about how the devices work, comparing pros and cons and highlighting the main differences.
A brief introduction to clear aligners
Many people automatically conjure up images of metal, train-track style fixed orthodontics when the word ‘brace’ crops up in conversation. While traditional, fixed braces are still an effective treatment option, today, there is a raft of choices for individuals who require orthodontic care. Clear aligners offer an alternative to fixed braces for those who have either moderate or minor orthodontic problems. Rather than having a brace fitted to your teeth, you wear custom-made, removable aligners for a period of time. The aligners glide over the teeth and sit in position similar to a lightweight gum shield you would wear to play sports. Once the aligners are in place, they use gentle forces to gradually move the teeth, producing a beautiful, straight smile. With our regular clear aligners, we recommend wearing the braces for around 22 hours per day. With the NightOnly aligners, the braces are worn for 8-10 hours while you sleep.
What are the benefits of clear aligners?
Adult orthodontic treatment has soared in popularity in recent years thanks to the introduction of incredible systems and solutions, including clear aligners. Many people who are now seeking advice about and researching orthodontics were put off having treatment during their adolescence due to the cost of braces, the aesthetic of fixed braces and the inconvenience of wearing highly-visible braces for long periods of time. Clear aligners provide a solution to many of the issues faced by orthodontic clients in previous generations. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Discreet aesthetics: one of the most significant advantages of clear aligners for many individuals is the discretion they afford. Clear aligners are made from transparent plastic, and once they are in position in the mouth, they are virtually invisible. With our clear aligners, you don’t have to worry about how your image will change or what people will think when you smile.
- Confidence: some people are apprehensive about having orthodontic treatment because they worry about the impact of braces on their confidence. Clear aligners cannot be seen when you smile, so you can enjoy greater confidence when you meet new people, go on dates or attend job interviews.
- Price: clear aligners from ALIGNERCO offer excellent value for money, with prices significantly lower than some other aligners and many fixed brace systems.
- Flexibility: our clear aligners are removable, which means that you can enjoy much greater flexibility. We also have options for daytime use and night time treatment, so you can choose the solution that best fits in with your lifestyle.
- Improved oral hygiene: wearing braces is often associated with an elevated risk of tooth decay, due to the fact that it can be tricky to keep brackets and wires clean. With clear aligners, you don’t have to worry about oral hygiene. You can take the braces out to brush your teeth and it’s much easier to clean removable aligners than fixed braces. With an aligner worn during the night, you start wearing your brace after you’ve cleaned your teeth so your daily oral hygiene routine won’t change.
What are the differences between daytime and night time aligners?
At ALIGNERCO, we recognize that our clients have different needs and preferences, and we provide orthodontic solutions to cater to diverse requirements. We offer both daytime and night time clear aligners. Although there are several similarities, there are some key differences between the two options. These include:
Wearing your aligners
The most significant difference between our regular clear aligners and the NightOnly braces is when you wear the aligners. With the standard aligners, we recommend wearing your braces throughout the day and night. Ideally, you should wear your aligners for 20-22 hours each day. With our night braces, you only need to wear the braces at night, which means they are in place for around 8-10 hours each day.
Clear aligners use gentle, targeted forces to move the teeth, straightening out imperfections and correcting tooth alignment. The time it takes to achieve results will vary according to the individual, but there are differences between daytime and night time aligners. As NightOnly aligners are worn only during the night, treatment times are usually longer. Typically, if you were advised to wear a regular daytime aligner for 4-6 months, you would expect to wear a NightOnly aligner for around 6-8 months.
Another difference between the two types of aligners is the impact on your daily routine. Clear aligners are a flexible, versatile treatment option and they are designed to fit in seamlessly with modern-day schedules. However, you will need to make a few very simple changes to your daily routine if you have regular clear aligners. You’ll need to remember to take your braces out when you eat, drink and brush your teeth, and you’ll need to clean the braces on a regular basis. With NightOnly aligners, your routine won’t change. You will only wear your braces at night, meaning there is no impact on eating, drinking or oral hygiene.
What are the pros and cons of daytime aligners vs NightOnly aligners?
Clear aligners offer a host of benefits for individuals who are looking for a hassle-free, affordable, discreet way of straightening their teeth, but some people may find that one aligner system suits them better than another. There are pros and cons to each option when comparing daytime aligners with NightOnly braces.
The advantages of daytime aligners
- Speed: for many people, the most attractive selling-point of daytime aligners is likely to be the short treatment period. As you wear these aligners for up to 22 hours a day, the braces can achieve results faster than NightOnly aligners.
- Versatility: in some cases, daytime aligners may be a better solution for individuals due to the intensity of treatment. If you have moderate orthodontic issues, you may find that this option is better for you than the NightOnly braces.
- Price: daytime aligners are slightly less expensive than NightOnly aligners. This is because treatment times are longer with night braces.
- Progress: daytime aligners achieve results faster, and it’s usually possible to see progress at an early stage of the treatment process. With NightOnly aligners, it can take longer to notice a difference, and there is a higher risk of the teeth returning to their original positions because the braces are not worn during the day.
The advantages of NightOnly aligners
- Convenience: NightOnly aligners will have minimal impact on your daily routine. They are convenient and easy to wear. You don’t need to remember to take them out or put them back in after eating and you can go about your daily business as usual.
- Invisible treatment: some people are reluctant to wear braces because they don’t want others to see them with a brace or they have concerns about the potential impact on their career or their job prospects. If you’re a performer, you work in customer service, you’re a model, or you spend long periods of time talking on the phone, for example, wearing aligners during the night will enable you to enjoy the smile you long for without any worries about the implications of wearing a brace. You can look and feel your best at work and nobody needs to know that you’re going through treatment if you don’t want them to.
- Clean, healthy teeth: some people worry about having braces because there’s often a higher risk of staining and dental disease. With clear aligners, you can brush your teeth as normal with minimal risk of staining. The braces are not fixed to the teeth, and you should find that your teeth look healthy and radiant throughout the process.
Which option is best for me?
If you’re interested in clear aligners, and you dream of showcasing a stunning, straight smile, you may be wondering which aligner option is best for you. There are advantages to both daytime and NightOnly aligners, but some people will have requirements or preferences that mean that one solution is better than another. When making a decision, it’s wise to think about the following factors:
- Treatment time: some people will approach orthodontic treatment wanting to enjoy the results as soon as possible, while others will be willing to wait. If you’re desperate for fast results, daytime aligners are the best option. As they are worn for up to 22 hours per day, rather than 10, they work faster. The exact treatment time will depend on the individual and how much movement is needed.
- Cost: there is only a small difference between the prices for regular and NightOnly braces, but for some people, the cost may influence their decision. We offer flexible options to cater to all budgets.
- Lifestyle: clear aligners are a lot more versatile and convenient than fixed braces, but some clients may still feel that wearing a brace during the day will affect their lifestyle. If you have a job that involves being on camera, meeting people face to face or speaking on the phone a lot, for example, or you’re a very active person, you may not be keen to commit to wearing aligners 22 hours a day. In this case, NightOnly offers an excellent alternative. With this option, you only wear aligners during the night, meaning your daily schedule will not be impacted in any way.
- Dental needs: clear aligners are suitable for a wide range of clients with mild or moderate orthodontic issues. In many cases, both options will be suitable, but if you would benefit from more intensive treatment, daytime aligners are a better choice.
Am I a good candidate for clear aligners?
If you like the sound of clear braces or night time aligners, you may be interested to find out if you’re a suitable candidate for treatment. Aligners are not recommended for all orthodontic patients, but they are a fantastic solution for some. In most cases, this kind of treatment is recommended for those with mild or moderate problems. Daytime aligners are ideally suited to individuals who want a discreet brace and those who are willing to commit to wearing their brace for 20-22 hours a day. If you have minor issues, and you’d rather not wear a brace for the majority of the day, NightOnly aligners could be a great option for you.
How can I find out more?
If you’re keen to see if you are a good match for clear aligners, the process of getting in touch and finding out more about treatment is very simple. Once you’ve ordered your impression kit, you will create molds of your teeth at home, which will be sent back to us and analyzed by our expert team. We will make recommendations based on your individual orthodontic prescription. If you are a suitable candidate for treatment, the next step is for us to draw up your customized treatment plan and design the aligners. We will then send you your clear aligners and you can start treatment at home. In some cases, daytime aligners may be better suited to individuals than NightOnly aligners. We will share our suggestions with you to help you decide which option to go for.
Clear aligners have revolutionized orthodontic treatment, and adult treatment is more popular than ever. If you’re looking for a simple, stress-free, discreet means of straightening your teeth, clear aligners could be the solution for you. Both daytime and NightOnly aligners offer a raft of benefits, but in some cases, one option may be better suited to the individual than the other. Weigh up the pros and cons, think about your lifestyle and your individual preferences and take advice from our expert team.