Everyone wants a straight, white smile. While clear braces are an effective way to improve the appearance of crooked, overcrowded, or gapped teeth, they can’t do anything to improve the color or brightness of a person’s stained teeth. What happens, when a person wants to enhance the brightness of their discolored teeth while undergoing orthodontic treatment? Is it safe for them to use whitening products while wearing clear braces or should they wait until their time in braces is over before striving to achieve a whiter smile? If you’re wearing clear, removable braces, here’s what you should know about safely whitening your smile.
What Are Clear Braces?
Clear braces are orthodontic appliances that are used to correct a number of oral health concerns, but are most commonly used to straighten crooked teeth. They are made from BPA-free, clear plastic that is shaped to fit a person’s mouth perfectly. These plastic trays are switched out for new ones every 10 days as they gradually move the person’s teeth to the desired position, usually over the course of eighteen months.
The clear braces process is preferred by many people over traditional metal braces for a number of reasons, including:
- Convenience: They can be removed to eat and clean. Likewise, you don’t have to avoid specific foods when wearing clear braces. Traditional braces create stains on the teeth around the brackets and these stains can be difficult to remove. Clear braces do not have these brackets and do not stain your teeth in the same fashion.
- Discretion: Because they’re virtually invisible, no one will know that you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment.
- Affordability: Clear braces tend to be less expensive than traditional metal braces.
How to Practice Good Oral Hygiene with Clear Braces
Even though clear braces can be removed for cleaning, it’s still very important to practice good oral hygiene habits while wearing them. Removal braces not only ensure your teeth stay healthy and strong during and after the straightening process, but will also prevent them from becoming stained or yellow over time. Check out these tips to practice good oral hygiene and avoid clear braces stain.
Cleaning Clear Braces: Brush and Floss Regularly
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, it’s critical to brush your teeth after eating or drinking anything with a pH level under 7.0. The most effective way to keep your mouth in tip-top shape during and after orthodontic treatment is to brush and floss every day. Cleaning clear braces isn’t difficult. Brushing should take place twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed, as well as after meals when possible. It’s important to brush for a minimum of two minutes, being sure to thoroughly clean the entire surface of each tooth, including hard-to-reach cracks and crevices.
While a manual toothbrush is certainly acceptable for keeping your teeth and gums in good condition, an electric toothbrush is preferred for its efficiency. Additionally, flossing at least once a day is a critical step to remove food particles and plaque and ultimately combat tooth decay and surface stains. Like electric toothbrushes, water flossers are a great tool to reach the tight crevices of your mouth and keep them free of debris and plaque build-up.
Avoid Acidic and Sugary Foods
When it comes to maintaining a healthy, beautiful smile, what you consume matters. With this in mind, it’s best to limit your consumption of acidic foods and those high in sugar. These can make them more susceptible to staining, such as soda and candy. When you do consume something acidic, such as a black coffee or red wine, be sure to rinse your mouth with water afterwards. This prevents damage to the surface of your teeth and stains from forming. Drinking water is a good way to protect the enamel of your teeth, lower your risk of developing tooth decay, and keep your pearly whites as bright as possible.
Visit the Dentist
There’s no question that visiting the dentist twice a year is a must to keep your teeth looking their best for years to come. Even if you practice excellent oral hygiene, it’s important to have routine dental exams and professional cleanings every six months. This simple step can have a tremendous impact on the health and appearance of your mouth. You can identify and treat dental concerns before they progress and cause more serious issues. These severe issues include discoloration, decay, and even tooth loss.
Can You Whiten Your Teeth While Wearing Braces?
Wire braces cause difficulties in oral hygiene routines. It’s not a good idea to whiten your teeth while wearing traditional metal braces for several reasons:
- The brackets glued to your teeth are blocking visible space on the surface of your teeth that wouldn’t be affected by the whitening agents. This means you would have two-toned teeth when the braces are removed.
- Similarly, if your teeth are crowded or overlapping one another, the whitening agents may not reach certain areas of your teeth that will be visible once your orthodontic treatment is complete.
- Whitening agents can also cause sensitivity in your teeth, which could lead to discomfort when your braces are adjusted.
If you are wearing metal braces, it’s best to wait until your orthodontic treatment is complete before seeking whitening treatment.
Safely Whiten Your Teeth with Alignerco Clear Aligners
Achieving a straighter, whiter, more radiant smile doesn’t have to be out of reach. With Alignerco, you can improve the appearance of your smile comfortably, conveniently, and affordably. Here’s how:
- Take an impression of your mouth at home, then send it back to our team.
- Receive personalized clear aligner trays in the mail.
- Achieve a straighter smile in as little as 12-18 months for one flat rate – $81/month.
With Alignerco, there’s no need to schedule orthodontic appointments around your busy schedule. There’s also no need to postpone orthodontic treatment due to cost, or change your lifestyle to accommodate traditional metal braces. Best of all, it’s possible to safely whiten your teeth while wearing clear braces without harming your teeth. With our state-of-the-art teeth whitening kit, you can increase the brightness of your teeth while straightening them in four easy steps:
- Rinse your mouth.
- Wipe your teeth dry.
- Apply an even coat of whitening gel on your teeth.
- Pop in your LED light for 20-25 minutes a day and watch the stains disappear.
Don’t wait another day to get the straight, white smile you’ve always wanted. Contact us today to schedule your free assessment and learn more about how Alignerco could benefit you!