- Published Date: 13 Oct 2020
- Updated Date: 07 Jul 2021
- Reading Time: 3 min
Medically Reviewed by
Dr. Tara Roffe D.D.S, PGCert
Everyone desires to have a perfect smile. A simple lift of the lips is enough to make someone’s day, and smiling is one of the most powerful ways to spread happiness. Unfortunately, not everyone has a flawless set of teeth to show off. While straight, white, pearly teeth do not in themselves define beauty, many people are self-conscious about crooked teeth and their general oral health. Straightening your teeth can have a positive impact on your mental health and self-confidence.
There are several available options at this time to choose from when it comes to deciding what process to use for teeth straightening. One of the most popular in recent years is using clear aligners. They are very effective in rectifying orthodontic issues and are “invisible”. Their virtual “invisibility” and subtleness makes them a perfect solution for adults who want to straighten their teeth without the embarrassment of wearing metal braces.
Clear aligners are an orthodontic treatment device. They are a form of dental braces made from transparent plastic, and are used to adjust teeth and correct certain oral problems. They are most effective in treating cases of gapped teeth, crowded teeth, overbites, and crossbites.
Aligners take 4-6 months on average to accomplish desired results, depending on the condition of your teeth.
Each set of aligners is worn for a 10 days period usually for 20 or more hours. They work by exerting a precise force on specific teeth over a specified amount of time until these teeth are moved to an ideal position.
Benefits of clear aligners
There are many benefits to opting for clear aligners over other forms of braces. Here are some of the main advantages.
- Discreetness: Unlike metal braces, clear aligners are very subtle and often go unnoticed. While traditional braces typically have metal wiring and brackets protruding from them, aligners blend seamlessly with your teeth for a much more pleasing appearance.
- Removable: Although you are recommended to wear your aligners for twenty to twenty-two hours per day, they are removable. You can take them out for eating, drinking, and oral hygiene. Metal braces aren’t removable and can be a nuisance at times.
- Low maintenance: Traditional braces can be tricky to clean around, sometimes leading to unhealthy teeth. They also require regular maintenance and adjustments. By taking out aligners for eating and brushing, you are able to easily maintain your oral health as well as protect your aligners.
- Comfort: A common complaint with metal braces is that they are uncomfortable and often painful. They can cause cuts and scratches to the gums and inner mouth. Aligners might cause slight discomfort at first but they are quite comfortable after you get used to them, and can be removed for convenience.
What to do if you’re unsure about clear aligners
Many people are unsure about getting aligners, most often due to uncertainty and mistrust about how they work and their effectiveness.
The most frequently heard “myth” surrounding clear aligners is that they can’t fix severe orthodontic issues and that they take longer to work than traditional braces. The truth is that aligners can resolve many difficult problems and the length of time needed for correction depends on the amount of correction needed.
Another reason that people might be unsure about getting clear aligners is the price. Although they have become a lot more affordable in recent years, aligners aren’t cheap! Fortunately, as well as being 65% less expensive than traditional braces, Alignerco has come up with a great solution to costs.
Smile Projection allows you to get a before and after visual of your teeth before investing in the treatment. This gives you peace of mind and makes you feel at ease seeing how your teeth will be improved, without having to pay a high up-front cost.
The process begins by first ordering an impression kit. This will be sent directly to your home and will be used to create your dental impression. The kit comes equipped with impression putty and trays, a cheek retractor, and disposable gloves. For further assistance, you can schedule a video call with a team member from Alignerco.
Once you take your impressions, you will send them back to Alignerco. We can then use our state of the art software to create a Smile Projection, giving you an indication of how straight your teeth will be after your aligner treatment. You may then visualize the final result before committing to the treatment.
When you decide to go ahead with the process, Alignerco will create a customized invisible aligners treatment plan, specialized for you by our team of experts. After completing your aligner treatment, you will be the proud owner of straighter teeth, giving your smile an added boost of happiness.
Medically Reviewed by
Dr. Tara Roffe D.D.S, PGCert